Denture cleaners like Polident and Fixodent have caused serious and sometimes fatal reactions in some people. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced Monday that one person died and at least 72 others were sickened as a result of allergic reactions to denture cleaners. In some cases, the reactions were a result of product misuse. The FDA report blamed a bleach called persulfate, an allergen used in most denture cleansers. Persulfates are used in these products as part of the cleaning and bleaching process. The FDA is urging doctors and patients to be aware of the symptoms of an allergic reaction and to only use the cleansers as directed. The person who died and some of those who were sickened misused the cleaners, the FDA said. “Some patients have gargled or swallowed it, resulting in abdominal pain, vomiting, seizure, hypotension and difficulty breathing,” it said. Meanwhile, some who reported allergic reactions used the cleaners properly, the FDA said.
Welcome to OsseoTECH, a site devoted to chronicling osseointegration developments Please send suggestions for features.